Sunday, January 25, 2009

Slumdog Millionaire

I had almost given up watching movies,but somehow a movie worthwhile would come along which would keep my interest going,never giving me the reason for complete dissociation with movies.You can gauge my indifference to movies,especially hindi, from the fact that the last movies i watched were Swades,Chak de and Taare Zameen par. Oh, i know i have missed many;but then i have kept my sanity.
Among english movies the last few that I remember are:City of god, Red,Requiem for a dream, Tsotsie etc. I watched a few mindless ones like wanted,next,death race,war;to a few ok ones- 7 pounds,i am legend,eagle eyes etc.But none were the movies(barring the first 4;god..tsotsie) that would give me satisfaction.
And then slumdog happened.Though a simple rags to riches story with a bit of love thrown in, it is a portrayal of India unseen, of dreams and ambitions, of a place where tradition and modernity collide, and biggest of all :DESTINY. Maybe it is all written.Indeed!
This is a story brilliantly told.And for that matter I am thankful to Mr. Boyle.Why is it that foreigners make better films on India than us?Gandhi was another masterpiece which got an oscar for the indian dress designer.Maybe this film will also get some Indian contributer an oscar. But why can't we on our own come up with such masterpieces?? Some period films have been tried like the one on Netaji by Shyam Benegal, but those were pathetic movies....Maybe all we are good at is the normal song and dance routine!But beware,hollywood has started tapping that also.Pretty soon all of 550 odd films that India produces maybe overshadowed by a few produced by western studios. Thankfully,chandni chowk was not it!May be Warner Bros should have replaced Advani(or Adnani?) with some western director!
The other point which made an impact on me was the role given to destiny.For each answer has a story behind it and these answers propel the hero towards his first millions; some of the answers which would fox even pundits.Does destiny really play such role in a person's life?
Anyway the movie was good,and it would keep my faith in cinema intact for a long time. But I would not watch the movie a second time, for i believe that it would destroy the good and positive feeling towards the movie. The innocence and credulity of watching a movie first time is often replaced by the cold and critical attitude when you watch it again. And i don't want to ruin my experience of watching a good movie.

No comments: